BAYARAN? Malacañang claimed Monday that some individuals, including politicians, had paid US-based publication The New York Times (NYT) to carry out a “demolition work” against President Rodrigo Duterte.
Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella alleged that the 165-year-old publication appears to be part of a “well funded campaign” to remove Duterte from office.
“The newspaper tries to stir global outrage in a nation that welcomes its newfound peace and order. One can only conclude that certain personalities and politicians have mounted a well funded campaign utilizing hack writers and their ilk in their bid to oust PRRD (Duterte),” Abella said in a statement.
The NYT last week published 3 pieces about Duterte: a feature on his rise to the presidency; an editorial urging the international community to hold him accountable for the “slaughter” of suspected criminals amid his war on drugs; and a video documentary highlighting vigilante killings in the Philippines.
Read more: Duterte 72nd Birthday wish
Abella said the publication’s profile on Duterte depicts his rise to power under “the context of violence” while the editorial mouthed “unsubstantiated claims.”
“NYT’s very obvious demolition work flies in the face of the very high approval of PPRD enjoys,” Abella added.
Under the scrutiny of publication, Duterte‘s spokesperson vowed that the administration will “not be deterred in fulfilling its promise of building a progressive and inclusive nation free from drugs, crimes and corruption.”